Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Happy Herbivore Book Tour

 I have a great suprise for everyone today a few weeks ago Lindsay Nixon author of  Happy Herbivore & Everyday Happy Herbivore announced on her blog that she was doing a blog book tour,  So I jumped at the chance and sent her some general questions about Everyday Happy Herbivore and her blog/future projects,  because I have enjoyed all her recipes so far, and she was kind enough to stop by my humble blog to answer some of my questions for all of you who are intrested in her book and future projects. You can also get more of her recipes at her website.


1. Where do you find your inspiration?

It's a good mix of trying to replicate recipes that I used to eat that were either not vegan or not healthy, I'll create something on the fly or I'll be inspired by an ingredient. For example I saw a beautiful bunch of chard I couldn't pass up so I took it home and created a recipe for it. 

2. Are you planning any fundraisers for the elephants like you did with the herbie necklaces?

I might do the necklaces again; but I'm not sure. I love the charity, and I love the project, but it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. I've done it twice and I raised a lot of money, but I have other priorities I need to think about. Not enough hours in the day! 

3. Are you already cooking up more recipes for a third book?

Yes. I'm writing #3 now. 

4. Any new projects/features you are working on your website/blog?

We're looking into an ipad/iphone app -- but right now we have the 2012 Happy Herbivore Calendar (a project benefiting a student) and I've recently started the Happy Herbivore Meal Plans.

5. Your hair and skin is alway shiny/beautiful any special vegan products you use on it to make it so healthy/beautiful?

Aww thank you! It's all diet. I don't put anything in my hair -- no products (unless you count shampoo). and the only thing I use on my skin is baking soda (I'm tempted to start washing my hair with baking soda). I think less is more!

6. Any additional cooking tips you can give?
 
Not off the top of my head -- but there are charts of tips in the front of both cookbooks! 


She was also sweet enough to include a picture and recipe to share with all of you, I haven't tried these yet but they are definitly on my to do list.

(Picture from Everyday Happy Herbivore)


Apple Fritter Cups | 12 muffins


1 ½ cup chopped apple (skin optional)
1 c nondairy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup light brown or raw sugar
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, divided
nutmeg or ground ginger
Basic Glaze

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. Toss 1 cup apples with a few dashes of cinnamon and a little brown sugar until well coated and set asides (“topping”). In a small bowl, whisk nondairy milk with vinegar and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ½ to ¾ tsp cinnamon (your choice) plus a dash of nutmeg or ginger, and stir to combine. Whisk in sugar then pour in milk mixture. Add vanilla and remaining ½ cup apples and stir to combine. Spoon into muffin cups just a tad more than ½-way full. Add “topping” on each. Bake 15-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, make glaze, substituting 1 tsp of liquid with 1 tsp pure maple syrup (optional). Drizzle warm fritters with glaze.

Tip: Once the fritters completely cool, the liners will peel off. If you plan to eat them warm, lightly spray the inside of the liner with oil-spray to prevent sticking or forgo the liners and grease your muffin tin or use a nonstick pan.

Per Fritter (without glaze) : 102 Calories, 0.4g Fat, 20.9g Carbohydrates, 2.4g Fiber, 5.5g Sugar, 2.7g Protein


You Can buy Lindsay's book Everyday Happy Herbivore Here, It will make a great gift under the tree!
Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment